LASIK means Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis, is surgery for the correction of vision, Many CDS aspirants wanted to know about the LASIK Surgery Criteria for CDS, So here MKC brings this article for our CDS Aspirants, Here we will tell you what is the criteria of LASIK Surgery? and LASIK Surgery Eligibility etc. First of all, I want to say you that LASIK Surgery is allowed in the Indian Armed Forces but there are some criteria for LASIK Surgery. And if you guys are CDS Aspirants then you should read the full article.
LASIK Surgery for CDS Examination
Table of Contents
LASIK or Equivalent kerato-refractive procedure has special requirements when it comes to CDS Examination. Any candidate who has undergone any kerato-refractive procedure will have a certificate from the centre where he/she has undergone the procedure, specifying the date and type of surgery.
Note: Absence of such a certificate will necessitate the Ophthalmologist to make a decision to reject the candidate with a specific endorsement of “Unfit due to undocumented Visual Acuity corrective procedure”.
What is LASIK surgery?
LASIK is simply an eye treatment, commonly known as laser eye surgery or laser eye correction. It is a type of refractive surgery which is used to treat patients suffering from MYOPIA, HYPERMETROPIA, FORESIGHTEDNESS, And ASTIGMATISM. This surgery is done by ophthalmologists who use a type of laser to give proper shape to the cornea just to improve the visuality. It is the alternative solution to eyeglasses or spectacles.
- Lasik surgery is not meant for patients who have a thin cornea or high myopia.
- In 2006 the National Institute for health and clinical excellence (NICE) collected evidence to prove the safety of Lasik surgery, NICE states that laser surgery for the correction of refractive errors is safe and beneficial.
RISK FACTORS OF LASIK Surgery:-
- Change in contact lenses and glasses.
- Certain medication use or conditions.
- Certain eye conditions like infections etc.
- Many people reviewed this surgery as they suffered eye dryness, sensitivity to light and blurred vision after the surgery.
LASIK Surgery Criteria for CDS
In order to be made FIT, the following criteria will have to be met:-
- Age more than 20 yrs at the time of surgery
- Minimum 12 months post LASIK
- Central corneal thickness equal to or more than 450 µ
- The axial length by IOL Master equal to or less than 26 mm
- Residual refraction of less than or equal to +/- 1.0 D incl cylinder, (provided acceptable in the category applied for).
- A normal healthy retina.
- Corneal topography and ectasia markers can also be included as additional eligibility criteria.
Points to be Noted:
- Any candidate who has undergone any kerato-refractive procedure will have a certificate/operative notes from the medical centre where he/she has undergone the procedure, specifying the date and type of surgery.
- The absence of such a certificate will necessitate the Ophthalmologist to make a decision to reject the candidate with the specific endorsement of “Unfit due to undocumented Visual Acuity corrective procedure”.
Candidates who have undergone Radial Keratotomy are Permanently Unfit
- The form to be used for med board proceedings is AFMSF-2A.
- The procedure of Medical Examination Board: Medical Examination Board for selection for officers and pre-commissioning training academies are convened at designated Armed Forces Medical Services Hospitals near Service Selection Boards (SSB). These Medical Boards are termed as ‘Special Medical Boards’ (SMB). Candidates who clear the SSB interview are referred to Armed Forces Medical Services Hospital with identification documents.
- Staff Surgeon of the Hospital will identify the candidate, guide the candidate to fill the relevant portions of the AFMSF-2, and organize investigations and examinations by Medical, Surgical, Eye, ENT, and Dental specialists.
- Female candidates are examined by Gynaecology Specialist also.
- After examination by Specialists, the candidate is brought before Medical Board.
- Medical Board once satisfied with the findings of the Specialists will declare the fitness of the candidate.
- If any candidate is declared ‘Unfit’ by SMB, such candidates can request for ‘Appeal Medical Board’ (AMB). Detailed procedures for AMB will be provided by President SMB.