Candidate recommended by the Services Selection Board will undergo a medical examination by a Board of Service Medical Officers. Those candidates will be admitted to the academy are declared fit by the Medical Board. Candidates must be physically fit according to NDA physical standards for National Defence Academy admission to National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination as per guidelines some major important part of guideline is encrypted below, for candidate perusal. Candidate can take reference from below details but for perfect and accurate yearly data will only be announced by UPSC union public service commission at the time when official notification comes out.
Physical standard for height and weight standard for different wings of Armed Forces such as Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy is given below:
|Height/Weight Standards for Army/Air Force|
|Height (in cm)||Weight (in kg)|
|Without shoes||16-17 years||17-18 years||18-19 years|
|Height/Weight Standards for Navy|
|Height (in cm)||Weight (in kg)|
|Without shoes||16 years||18 years||20 years|
Those who have to apply as Pilot in Indian Air Force also have to follow these standards:
|Special Requirements for Air Force Pilot|
|Leg length||99.00cm – 120.00cm|
|Thigh length||Max 64.00cm|
|Sitting height||81.50cm – 96.00cm|
Some other physical alignments that should be followed that are as:
- There should be no signs of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessels.
- Blood pressure should be normal.
- Urine examination will be done and any abnormality if detected will be a cause for rejection.
- Un-operated hernias will make a candidate unfit. In case of Hernia which has been operated, a minimum of 6 months must have passed prior to final medical examination before commencement of the course.
- There should be no symptoms of piles.
- Any disease of skin which is likely to cause disability or disfigurement will also be a cause for rejection.
- There should be no enlargement of liver or spleen.
- Any evidence of disease of internal organs of the abdomen will be a cause for rejection.
- A candidate should have no past history of mental breakdown or fits.
- No bony deformities like chest wall deformities, Elbow deformities, Finger deformities Knock Knee, Bowlegs and deformities of feet and toes should be present.
Hearing ability standards: The hearing should be normal no sign of any operated anomalies. A candidate should be able to hear a forced whisper with each ear at a distance of 610 centimeters in a quiet room. There should be no evidence of present or past disease of the ear, nose and throat. Audiometric test will be done for AF. Audiometric hearing loss should not be greater than 20 db in frequencies between 250 and 8000 Hz. There is no impediment of speech.
For Air Force Candidates:
NOTE: Candidates who habitually wear spectacles are not eligible for air force
|Uncorrected without glass||6/6, 6/9|
|Corrected with glass||6/6 (only for Hypermetropia)|
|Limits of Myopia||Nil|
|Limits of Hypermetropia||+2.00 D Sph|
|Colour Vision||CPI (MLT)|
|Near Vision||N-5 each eye|
For Naval/Army Candidates:
|Uncorrected without glass||6/6|
|Corrected with glass||6/6|
|Limits of Myopia||-0.75|
|Limits of Hypermetropia||+1.5|
|Limits of Colour Perception||I|
The candidates should have sufficient number of natural and sound teeth. A minimum of 14 dental points will be acceptable. When 32 teeth are present, The total dental points are 22. A candidate should not be suffering from severe pyorrhea and have healthy gums.
Few of such commonly found defects / ailments are listed below:
- Wax ( Ears )
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Hydrocele / Phimosis
- Overweight / Underweight
- Under sized Chest
General physical parameter exercises to be performed at the time of selection are:
- Running 2.4 km in 15 minutes
- Pushups and sit ups ( minimum 20 each )
- Chin ups ( minimum 08 )
- Rope climbing
Dear, candidate if you are preparing for NDA then side by side also make yourself ready for medicals.
Perform daily workout to increase your body stamina, eat healthy diet and if you have any abnormalities then contact to doctor as soon as possible. Make yourself fit and fine by leaving no chance of rejection.
“Any officer is solider first for that Physical fitness comes first”