One of the basic tests but also one which everyone was dreading for flying branch is eye sight parameters for Medical test, The eyesight should be 6/6 while for ground duties, 6/9 or a little more is permissible. The general test that conducts to check eyes is firstly to read alphabets from a certain distance with one eye covered at a time. It is very easy and almost everyone is easily able to clear it. Those who are not able to read properly then they are made to undergo additional tests. The rest of eye tests were scheduled for the next day of medical test.
Eye test is one of the most extensively carried out procedure and can take up a lot of time in case you are detected with some problem
Candidates who have undergone PRK (Photo Refractive Keratotomy)/LASIK (Laser in Situ Keratomileusis ) may be considered fit for commissioning in Air Force all branches.
Post PRK/LASIK candidates must meet the visual requirements required for the branch.
Criteria for post LASIK surgery for all branches (Flying/Ground Duty (tech)/ Ground Duty (Non-tech) are as follows:-
- Candidates who have undergone PRK (Photo Refractive Keratotomy)/LASIK (Laser in Situ Keratotomileusis) may be considered fit for commissioning in Air Force all branches.
- Post PRK/LASIK candidates must meet the visual requirements required for the branch as laid down in official notification.
- The following criteria must be satisfied prior to selecting post-PRK/LASIK at the time of Air Force Medical Examination that are:
- PRK/LASIK surgery should not have been carried out before the age of 20 years.
- The axial length of the eye should not be more than 25.5 mm as measured by IOL master.
- Atleast 12 months should have elapsed post uncomplicated stable PRK/LASIK with no history or evidence of any complication.
- The post LASIK corneal thickness as measured by a corneal pachymeter should not less than 450 microns.
- Individuals with high refractive errors (>6D) prior to LASIK are to be excluded.
- Radial Keratotomy (RK) surgery for correction of refractive errors is not permitted for any Air Force duties. Candidates having undergone cataract surgery with or without IOL implants will also be declared unfit.
|Branch and course Name||Visual standards|
|Flying Duty||Candidates who habitually wear spectacles are not eligible. (b) Minimum distant vision 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in other correctable to 6/6 only for Hyper metropia colour vision CP-1. Hypermetropia: +2.0 d Sph, Manifest Myopia: Nil, Retinoscopic Myopia: -0.5 in any meridian permitted, Astigmatism: + 0.75 D Cyl (with +2.0 D- Max) Maddox Rod Test (i) at 6 meters – Exo-6 prism D, Eso-6 prism D, Hyper-1 prism D, Hypo-1 prism (ii) at 33 cms – Exo-16 prism D, Eso-6 prism D, Hyper-1 prism D, Hypo-1 prism D. Hand held stereoscope – All of BSV Grades. Convergence – upto 10 cm. Cover test for distant and near – Lateral divergence/convergence recovery rapid and complete. Binocular Vision – Must possess good binocular vision (fusion and stereopsis with good amplitude and depth|
|Ground Duty (Technical)||Maximum Limits of Refractive Error||Visual actual error||Color vision|
|Hypermetropia: +3.5 D Sph Myopia: -3.50 D Sph Astigmatism: ± 2.50 D Cyl||Corrected visual acuity should be 6/9 in each eye. Wearing of glasses will be compulsory when advised.||CP-II|
|Ground Duty (Non- Technical) Administration||Hypermetropia: +2.0 D Sph Myopia: -0.5 D Sph Astigmatism: +0.5 D Cyl||A minimum to 6/9 in each eye correctable to 6/6 in each eye. Wearing of glasses will be compulsory when visual acuity is below 6/6.
|logistic||Hypermetropia: +3.5 D Sph Myopia: -3.50 D Sph Astigmatism: ± 2.50 D Cy||Corrected visual acuity should be 6/6 in the better eye and 6/18 in the worse eye. Wearing of glasses will be compulsory.||CP-III|
|Education||Hypermetropia: +3.5 D Sph Myopia: -3.50 D Sph Astigmatism: ± 2.50 D Cy||Corrected visual acuity should be 6/6 in the better eye and 6/18 in the worse eye. Wearing of glasses will be compulsory||CP-III|
For more information or to read official notification related with AFCAT exam and physical parameters visit www.careerairforce.nic.in