Eye Sight Parameters for Indian Air Force
The majority of candidates who are interested to join the Indian Air Force ask about Air Force eyesight requirement to become the part of Indian Air Force technical, ground duty GDOC and flying branch. Here, we are providing complete details about Air Force eyesight requirement along with LASIK surgery requirements. Go through the below-written blog for details:
- All the candidates are required to have 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in another eye which can be correctable to 6/6 only for hypermetropia. LASIK Surgery should be carried out after the age of 20 years.
- Candidates who have undergone with Photo Refractive Keratotomy (PRK)/LASIK may be eligible for commissioning in all branches of Air Force.
- Candidates who have taken post PRK/LASIK could be eligible if they meet the Air Force eyesight requirement for all the branches.
Basic Criteria for Post LASIK surgery for all branches, including Flying/Ground Duty (Tech)/ Ground Duty (Non-Tech) – Air Force Eyesight Requirement:
- LASIK Surgery should be carried out after the age of 20 years.
- Candidates with high refractive errors (>6D) prior to LASIK will not be applicable.
- Candidates should not have color or night blindness.
- The axial length of the eye should be less than 25.5 mm as measured by IOL master.
- The post LASIK corneal thickness should not be more than 450 microns.
- Candidates with Radial Keratotomy (RK) surgery for refractive error correction will not be applicable.
- Candidates who have taken cataract surgery with our without IOL implants will not be eligible and they will considered as unfit.
- Ocular Muscle Balance: Eyes should be aligned and have normal binocular vision. Manifest squint will not be permissible. Convergence must be adequate. Ocular movements full and free Ocular muscle balance should be tested with the cover test.
Air Force Eyesight Requirement As Per Branch and Course
|Branch and course Name||Eyesight standards|
|Flying Duty||Applicants who wear spectacles permanently or habitually are not eligible. (b) Minimum distant vision should be 6/6 in one eye, whereas 6/9 in other correctable to 6/6 only for Hypermetropia color vision CP-1. Hypermetropia: +2.0 d Sph, Retinoscopic Myopia: -0.5 in any meridian permitted, Manifest Myopia: Nil, Astigmatism: + 0.75 D Cyl (with +2.0 D- Max) Maddox Rod Test (i) at 6 meters – Exo-6 prism D, Eso-6 prism D, Hyper-1 prism D, Hypo-1 prism (ii) at 33 cms – Exo-16 prism D, Eso-6 prism D, Hyper-1 prism D, Hypo-1 prism D. Convergence – up to 10 cm. Hand held stereoscope – All of BSV Grades. Cover test for distant and near – Lateral divergence/convergence recovery rapid and complete. Binocular Vision – Must possess good binocular vision (fusion and stereopsis along with good amplitude and depth.|
|Ground Duty (Technical)||Refractive Error – Maximum Limits||Visual actual error||Color vision|
|Myopia: -3.50 D Sph
Hypermetropia: +3.5 D Sph
Astigmatism: ± 2.50 D Cyl
|Corrected visual acuity must be 6/9 in both eyes. It is mandatory to wear glasses when advised.||CP-II|
|Ground Duty (Non- Technical) Administration||Myopia: -0.5 D Sph
Hypermetropia:+2.0 D Sph
Astigmatism: +0.5 D Cyl
|A minimum to 6/9 in each eye correctable to 6/6 in each eye. It is mandatory to wear glasses when visual acuity is below 6/6.||CP-I|
|Logistic & Education||Myopia: -3.50 D Sph
Hypermetropia:+3.5 D Sph
Astigmatism: ± 2.50 D Cyl
|Corrected visual acuity should be 6/6 in the better eye and 6/18 in the worse eye. Wearing glasses will be mandatory.||CP-III|
For further details related to Air Force eyesight requirement, simply visit the official website of Indian Air Force – http://www.careerairforce.nic.in.
If you still have any doubt or query related to Air Force eyesight requirement, get in touch with Major Kalshi Classes. At MKC, we bring a unique approach to prepare students to qualify defence exams and live their dream. Join our coaching classes for best practices and better results. Also, approach us to buy high-quality study material, books, practice papers, solved question papers, and mock tests.
Candidate preparing for Defence Forces, avail the Best Books or Study Material from MKC Publications. For further inquiry, feel free to call us on +91 9696330033/9696220022 or
Visit us via:
- Our Official website
- Or at Shapath Building, 105/244, Tagore Town, Allahabad – 211002
To get detailed information on Notifications, Syllabus, Tips and Tricks, Admit Card Dates, Result, Cut off, Trend Analysis, Information about Physical Fitness Test and Medical Examination and Current Affairs, simply Visit Our YouTube Channel. You can also follow us on Instagram.
Feel free to share your thoughts about this blog in the comment section given below.FOLLOW