NDA Salary 2023: Structure , Allowances , Perks and Job Profile after 7th Pay Commission
NDA Salary 2023 : After the 7th Pay Commission, the salaries for cadets at the National Defense Academy and Naval Academy have changed. When NDA candidates start their training, they get a stipend of Rs 56,100.
This article will talk about the NDA salary, allowances, perks, and other benefits for those who want to join the Indian Security Forces.
You can find more information about the NDA exam by clicking on the link provided here.
NDA Salary 2023
Table of Contents
People who want to join the Army, Navy, or Indian Air Force and are eager to learn about the pay scale, allowances, perks, and in-hand salary of NDA might find this information interesting. So, the table below shows the NDA salary at various levels, starting from when they are trainees to when they hold different ranks.
The stipend for cadet training of Army officers and equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy is as follows:
|Training Stipend – NDA||Stipend Amount|
|The stipend for Gentlemen Cadets during their entire training at Service Academies, including the training period at IMA,||Rs. 56,100/- per months|
After successfully completing their NDA training, the salary for NDA candidates will be set at the initial Cell of Level 10 in the Pay matrix of the officer they become. It’s important to note that the training period at NDA is not considered as commissioned service, and any back payments for eligible allowances are given to the cadets for the training duration.
Aspirants can check NDA 1 2024 Eligibility in detail.
Rank – Wise NDA Salary
Here are the salaries of NDA Army officers and their equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy, organized by rank:
|NDA Cadets Salary – Army, Navy , Air Force|
|NDA Ranks||Salary of NDA Officer (Per Month)|
|Stipend given during Training||Rs. 56,100/-|
|Lieutenant||Rs. 56,100 /- to Rs. 1,77,500 /-|
|Captain||Rs. 61,300/- to Rs. 01,93,900 /-|
|Major||RS. 69,400/- to Rs. 02,07,200/-|
|Lieutenant Colonel||Rs. 01,21,200/- to Rs. 02,12,400/-|
|Colonel||Rs. 01,30,600 /- to Rs. 02,15,900/-|
|Brigadier||Rs. 01,39,600/- to Rs. 02,17,600 /-|
|Major General||Rs. 01,44,200/- to Rs. 02,18,200 /-|
|Lt General HAG Scale||Rs. 01, 82,200/- to Rs. 02,24,100 /-|
|HAG + Scale||Rs. 02,05,400 /- to Rs. 02,24,400 /-|
|VCOAS/Army Cdr/Lt Gen (NFSG)||Rs. 02,25,500/- Fixed Amount|
|COAS||Rs. 02,50,00/- Fixed Amount|
Important Note: Officers in the military receive a set amount of extra pay called Military Service Pay (MSP), and here’s how much they get:
|NDA Officers Military Service Pay||Military Service Pay Amount|
|MSP given to officers from rank of Lieutenant to Brigadier||Rs. 15,500 /- fixed per month|
NDA Officers Allowances and Perks
In addition to their basic salary, NDA officers receive various allowances and benefits that depend on their job type, where they work, and what they do. Below, we’ll outline the allowances and benefits that NDA candidates receive when they join the Indian Navy, Army, and the Air Force.
|Allowances given to NDA Officers|
|Allowances||Amount to Pay|
|Dearness Allowances||Same amount applicable to Civilians|
|Kit Maintenance Allowance||Rs. 20,000 along with Yearly Dress Allowance|
|Para Allowance||Rs. 10,500 /- Per Month|
|Special Forces Allowance||Rs. 25,000 /- Per Month|
|Para Jump Instructor Allowance||Rs. 10,500 /- Per Month|
|Project Allowance||Rs. 3,400 /- Per Month|
|Para Reserve Allowance||Rs. 2,625 /- Per Month|
|Technical Allowance (Tier-1)||Rs. 3,000 /- Per Month|
|Technical Allowance (Tier – 2)||Rs. 4,500 /- Per Months|
Field Area Allowances
|Field Area Allowance given to NDA Officers||Amount Payable|
|Highly Active Field Area Allowance||Rs. 16,900/- Per Month|
|Field Area Allowance||Rs. 10,500/- Per Month|
|Modified Field Area Allowance||Rs. 6,300/- Per Month|
High Altitude Allowances
Candidates who are stationed in Siachen receive a special allowance called Siachen Allowance, which amounts to Rs 42,500 per month. Similarly, NDA officers posted in high-altitude areas receive the following allowances:
|Levels of NDA Officers||Amount of Allowances|
|Category – I||Rs. 3,400/- Per Month|
|Category – II||Rs. 5,300/- Per Month|
|Category – III||Rs. 25,000/- Per Month|
|Level||Higher Transport Allowances Cities||Other Places|
|9 and Above||Rs. 7200 /Rs. + DA Thereon (Per Month)||Rs. 3600 + DA Theron (Per Month)|
NDA Allowances – Important Points
- Higher TPTA Cities (UA) include cities like Patna, Lucknow, Kolkata, Delhi, Kanpur, Hyderabad, Ahmadabad, Surat, Kochi, Bengaluru, Kozhikode, Indore, Nagpur, Pune, Greater Mumbai, Jaipur, Coimbatore, Ghaziabad, and Chennai.
- The TPTA (Transport Allowance) is given to NDA service personnel who have access to government transportation.
- NDA officers in Pay Level 14 and above, who can use an official car, can choose between using the official car or receiving TPTA, which is Rs 15,750 plus Dearness Allowance.
- This allowance is given for months when an officer is on leave for the entire month.
- Physically disabled service personnel will continue to receive this allowance at double the rate, but not less than Rs 2,250, plus Dearness Allowance.
Pilots and Army Aviators who serve in the Army Aviation Corps receive a flying allowance based on the R1H1 category of the Risk and Hardship Matrix. This allowance amounts to Rs 25,000 per month.
NDA Officers – Other Allowances
In addition to their NDA salary, Dearness Allowances, Travel Allowances, Flying allowances, and similar benefits, officers in the Indian security forces are also eligible for a few other allowances. These additional allowances include:
|NDA Officers Other Special Allowances||Amount|
|Children Education Allowance|
An allowance of Rs. 2250 per month per child is granted for the two eldest surviving children. This allowance is applicable from Nursery to the 12th grade.
|Hostel Allowance||An allowance of Rs. 6,750 per month per child is provided for the two eldest surviving children, and it is applicable from Nursery to the 12th grade.|
|Ration Allowance||Every month, all defense officers receive certain allowances, whether they are stationed in field areas or peace areas.|
Financial Benefits to NDA Officers in case of Death
If a candidate at the National Defense Academy or Naval Academy encounters an unfortunate accident, the following benefits apply:
Compensation for Disability
- A monthly ex-gratia payment of Rs 9,000.
- In cases of 100% disability, an ex-gratia disability award of Rs 16,200 per month is given.
- No disability award is provided if the disability is less than 20%.
- For those 100% disabled as per the recommendation of the Invaliding Medical Board (IBM), a Constant Attendant Allowance (CCA) of Rs 6,750 per month is granted.
Compensation in case of Death
- An ex-gratia payment of INR 12.50 Lacs is given to the Next of Kin (NoK).
- A monthly ex-gratia payment of INR 9,000 is provided to the NoK.
- It’s important to note that these ex-gratia awards to Cadets (Direct) and Next of Kin are granted purely as ex-gratia payments and should not be considered as pension for any purpose.
NDA Officers Insurance Policy
- During their stipend period at IMA, Gentleman Cadets receive insurance coverage of Rs 75 lakh. They contribute Rs 5,000 monthly towards this from October 1, 2016, in accordance with the AGI scheme for regular officers.
- There is a compulsory group insurance scheme called the Army Group Insurance Fund. It provides insurance coverage of Rs 15 lakh, and cadets need to pay a one-time, non-refundable premium of Rs 6,400 for a period of 3 years. This payment starts from the date of joining NDA and continues until the completion of training.
- In the event of relegation, an additional premium of Rs 1,160 per relegated term must be paid immediately.
- Cadets who are invalidated out from NDA by the Invaliding Medical Board (IMB) due to disability and are not entitled to any pension receive Rs 7.5 lakhs for 100% disability. This amount reduces to Rs 1.5 lakhs for 20% disability.
- Similarly, cadets who are invalidated out from IMA by IMB due to disability and are not entitled to any pension receive Rs 25 lakhs for 100% disability, which reduces to Rs 5 lakhs for 20% disability.
- For disabilities less than 20% (as mentioned in points 4 and 5), only an Ex-Gratia payment of Rs 50,000 is provided during the initial year of training, and Rs 1 lakh is given during the last year of training.
If the disability is less than 20% (as mentioned in points 4 and 5), cadets receive only an Ex-Gratia payment of Rs 50,000 during the first year of training and Rs 1 lakh during the final year of training.
Frequently Asked Questions :-
1. What is the basic salary of an NDA officer?
The basic salary of an NDA (National Defence Academy) officer varies based on their rank and experience. However, a, a newly commissioned Lieutenant in the Indian Army, which is the rank most NDA officers start with, had a basic pay of around ₹56,100 per month.
2. Do NDA officers receive additional allowances besides their basic salary?
Yes, NDA officers are entitled to various allowances in addition to their basic salary. These allowances may include Dearness Allowance (DA), Military Service Pay (MSP), Kit Maintenance Allowance, Field Area Allowance, and many others depending on their posting, duties, and qualifications.
3. Are NDA officers eligible for a pension after retirement?
Yes, NDA officers are eligible for a pension after their retirement. The pension amount is determined by factors such as their rank, length of service, and the Pay Commission in effect at the time of retirement.
4. Can NDA officers earn additional income through promotions and special assignments?
Yes, NDA officers can earn additional income through promotions and special assignments. As they advance in rank and gain experience, their basic pay increases. Additionally, they may receive special allowances for serving in challenging or remote areas. Promotions also come with higher responsibilities and increased pay scales, providing officers with the opportunity to enhance their income over time.