Indian Army is the second largest Army in the world and one among the three divisions of the Indian Armed forces. To Join Indian Army is dream of every defence aspirant but how to join indian army is the key factor that all candidates want to know. In this blog we provide you complete details about how to join Indian army.
The Indian Army provides numerous opportunities to the defence aspirant thought out the year to join forces. The below mentioned entries are relatively for all age groups and their qualifications, beginning from 10+2 up to the graduation.
How To Join Indian Army as a Commissioned Officer
Two major entries to Join Indian Army as a permanent commissioned officer after clearing written exam conducted by UPSC and SSB Interview conducted by Indian Army.
- National Defence Academy, Pune – A candidate can apply for Army, Navy, Air Force and Naval Academy via applying for NDA between the age of 16 ½ and 19 ½. Conditions are that the candidate can either be in 12th Standard or a pass out. Clear the UPSC exam and 5-day Services Selection Board Interview and pass your physicals and medicals to join the Indian Army.
- Combined Defence Service Examination – Just like NDA, Candidates can apply for all three Indian Armed Forces. However, in this case, the candidate has to be a graduate or in the final year of graduation between the age of 19 and 25.
Other Major Entries to Join Indian Army as a permanent commissioned officer conducted directly the Indian Army (NO WRITTEN EXAM, DIRECT SSB INTERVIEW).
- Technical Graduate Course – Aspirants who are studying in final year or have completed BE/ B.Tech in notified streams between the age of 16 ½ and 19 ½ can join IMA through Technical Graduate Course. They have to look out for the advertisement which will be published in leading newspapers in May/Jun & Nov/Dec every year.
- Army TES 10+ 2 – Male 10+2 candidates between the age 16 ½ and 19 ½ can apply online. They should have passed with 70 % in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics.
Other Entries to Join Indian Army as a Short Service Commissioned officer conducted by Indian Army (NO WRITTEN EXAM, DIRECT SSB INTERVIEW)
- SSC Tech – Men and Women between the age 20-27 having and engineering degree passed or appearing with 60% aggregate can apply for this post.
- NCC Entry – If you have done NCC Senior Division (Army) and obtained ‘C’ certificate with minimum ‘B’ grade, you can apply through your NCC Battalion from where NCC ‘C’ certificate has been issued to you.
- JAG Entry – Aspirants have to be a Law Graduate with minimum 55% aggregate marks in LLB Degree (Three years professional after graduation or five years after 10+2 examination). They should be eligible for registration with Bar Council of India/State. It is important that candidates should be from a College/University recognized by Bar Council of India. This entry is advertised through the Employment News and All important National and Regional Newspapers / dailies in the months of June and December. Candidates can apply this post through the official Indian army website.
NOTE – For all the above mentioned courses, cadets will be commissioned in the Army from the rank of Lieutenant >Captain>Major>Lt. Colonel>Colonel>Brigadier>Major General>Lt. General>General.
ALSO READ – How to Join Indian Air Force?
Difference between Permanent Commission (PC) and Short Service Commission (SSC)
Permanent Commission – Join Indian Army permanently as the name suggests. However, it is common for the officers to retire at the age of 60.
Short Service Commission – Join Indian Army under a sort of contract of 10 years that can be increased for 4 more years. For the most part, all sections for ladies are of Short Service in Nature.
How to Join Indian Army as Junior Commissioned Officer
- Religious Teacher (JCO) – Aspirant between the ages of 27-34 with the educational qualification of having a graduate degree can apply for this post
- Catering JCO (ASC) – Aspirant between the ages of 21-27 with the educational qualification of having a 10+2 with Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology can apply for this post.
How to Join Indian Army as a Havildar (Non–Commissioned Officer)
- Havildar (Education) – Aspirant between the ages of 21-25 with the educational qualification of having a M.A./M. Sc/M.C.A for Group X or B.A./B. Sc/B.Ca with B. Ed B. Sc (IT) for Group Y can apply for this post.
- Surveyor Auto Carto (Engineers) – Aspirant between the ages of 20-25 with the educational qualification of having a B.A. / B. Sc with Maths degree can apply for this post.
How to Join Indian Army as a Solider (Non–Commissioned Officer)
|Soldier General Duty||17½ – 21||10th pass with 45% & must contain 33%
|Soldier Clerk/Store Keeper||17½ – 23||10+2 pass (60% mark Each subject must have 50% marks) with Maths & English
|Soldier Tech||17½ – 23||10+2 pass (50% Mark (Each subject must have 40% marks) with Physics, Chemistry, Maths
|Soldier Nursing Assistant/Tec||17½ – 23||10+2 pass (50% Mark (Each subject must have 40% marks) with Physics, Chemistry, Biology
|Soldier Tradesman||17½ – 23||10th / ITI and 8th pa trades
- Service Entries – Indian Army Personnel who have already joined as a non commissioned officer can have an option to clear special exam conducted for them to get commissioned into the Indian Army. Some of these exams are ACC, SCO, and PCSL. Selection Procedure for this exam is to appear for SSB Interview after clearing a written exam.
- Territorial Army – It is a wonderful opportunity for gainfully employed citizens of India who are passionate to work with the Indian Army and want to offer their services to the nation. One can join Territorial Army between 18 – 42 years of age. There is a separate selection process for officer and non officers for Territorial Army which will be covered in another article.
We hope that this article should’ve provided you with great details about how to join Indian army.
For any other enquiries, visit
- our official website
- at Shapath Building, 105/244, Tagore Town, Allahabad – 211002
For detailed information of Notifications, Syllabus or Tips and Tricks, Admit Card Dates, Result, Cut off, Trend Analysis, Information about Physical Fitness Test and Medical Examination and Current Affairs, visit out Youtube account.
Feel free to share your thoughts about this article on the comment section below.