Daily Current Affairs (2nd April 2018)
India replaces Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones
- Replacing China, India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world. According to the data shared by Indian Cellular Association with the government, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
- With this, India replaced Vietnam to become the second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017.
World Autism Awareness Day to be observed on 2nd April
- The 2018 World Autism Awareness Day observance at United Nations Headquarters New York will focus on the importance of empowering women and girls with autism and involving them and their representative organizations in policy and decision making to address these challenges.
West Bengal Launches Rupashree Scheme For Girls
- The West Bengal governmenthas introduced a new scheme, “Rupashree”. It provides marriage assistance to girls coming from economically weaker families with a budgetary allocation of Rs 1,500 crore.
- The scheme proposes to extend one-time financial assistance worth Rs 25,000 to the family of the girl after 18 yrs of age whose annual income is up to Rs 1.5 lakh.
Dhoni, Advani conferred with Padma awards
- Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni and billiards champion Pankaj Advani are among the 41 prominent personalities who are conferred with the prestigious Padma awards of 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- There are 84 Padma awards were announced this year.
- The Padma awards list comprises three Padma Vibhushan, nine Padma Bhushan and 72 Padma Shri awards.
Kerala lifts Santosh Trophy for sixth time
- Kerala have lifted their sixth Santosh Trophy Football title. In a thrilling final at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, they beat defending champions and 32-time winners Bengal via penalty shootout.
- Kerala had beaten Punjab 3-2 with an extra time goal to win their earlier Santosh Trophy title in New Delhi in October 2004.
Miami Open: John Isner beats Alexander Zverev to win first Masters 1,000 title
- American John Isner won his first ever Masters 1,000 title with a 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-4 victory over German Alexander Zverev in the Miami Open final.
- US Open champion Sloane Stephens beat Latvian Jelena Ostapenko to win her first Miami Open title.
- It was the 34th edition of the Miami Open.
- All men and women’s events took place at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne, Florida, United States, from March 19 through April 1, 2018
Joint Military Exercise between U.S. & S.Korea ‘Foal Eagle’ Begins
- The United States and South Korea began their joint military training exercises as diplomatic relations have been thawing on the Korean Peninsula.
- Foal Eagle is the largest annual joint military exercise in South Korea, usually runs about two months.
- It is a series of field training exercises involving about 11,500 American and 290,000 South Korean troops.
Mithali Raj named ‘Sportsperson Of The Year’
- Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj was adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year’ .
- Ace shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and PV Sindhu bagged the best senior male and female athletes at the Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017.
- Former Indian cricketer VVS Laxman presented ‘best coach of the year’ award to Gopichand.
- Triple Olympian and former national hockey player N Mukesh Kumar was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at the event.
Film Director C.V. Rajendran Passes Away
- The Tamil film director C.V. Rajendran, who was part of late C.V. Sridhar’s unit passed away. He directed a few memorable films like Kalatta Kalyanam, Sumathi En Sundari and Raja starring Sivaji Ganesan and Jayalalithaa and Ponoonjal.
Buy best books for SSB Interview-
- How to crack SSB Interview (click here)
- GD/Lecturette Book (click here)
- OIR Booklet (Click here)