The only thing that makes every single human unique is his/her conscious mind. There’s a saying ‘Mind over Matter’. It simply means that our mind can achieve impossible feats without using much of our external strength. However, it is paramount that a soldier needs both. By asking questions that allow others to deeply dwell inside our personality, many can judge and test a person whether he/she is capable of doing that job. It’s important to note that it all depends on our mind. Situation Reaction Test consists of 60 situations that has to be completed in just 30 minutes. The situations are regular/normal life situations. The Key to confidently handle themlies within one’s logic. Normally, the situation is given in the past tense, using third person, singular number and in a brief language. The response should not be abrupt but a logical one. In SRT, a candidate responds according to the daily life problem which he/she may encounter. The way the response comes from a candidate shows his common sense, time sense, reasoning ability, maturity and empathy. The major quality assessed here is the decision making ability.
Situation Reaction Test (SRT) is one of the most crucial tests in SSB as it sometimes becomes a deciding factor in recommendation or deciding over a quality.
For tackling SRTs you have to keep a number of things in mind. First of all, never skip a situation. Do not be in a hurry to complete the test. Quality of the reaction is more important than number of situations attempted. Never leave a situation in between or skip it as it shows that you are running away from that situation.Next up is actually placing yourself in the situation. As there is no right or wrong answer, keep in mind to actually write what you would have really done.
What to avoid and whatnot to-
- Listen to the instructions very carefully given by the person conducting the test.
- While Answering do not answer in First person. Generally, the questions are asked in second or third person.
- Time is an important factor in this test you can use. Use all the punctuations you can to neaten and shorten your answer.
- For psychology a lots of books not present in the market,so you have to depend on their own calibre,mainly you have to follow the positivity in your thoughts. One thing which is very important that you have to steadfast on your own view because sometimes questions repeat their intension in different manner.
- Please do not skip any situation.
- Don’t be imaginary. This is the most important tip for SRT. Be realistic in your response and do not write responses that you have already mugged up or prepared. Don’t give Superman or Superhero kind of responses. Write your responses considering yourself as a normal human being.
- Writing speed matters a lot in all Psychological tests. So, keeping that in mind you should practice writing fast and legibly it will help you in other tests also not just SRT.
- Once the instructor orders you to stop writing then drop your pen then and there.
- Again, give meaning responses that make sense.
- Do not make incomplete sentences as they show a lack of responsibility and at the same time, keep the sentences short and meaningful.
- Do not forget your ethical and moral responsibilities towards the society and toward the victim.
- React quickly and act naturally. Write those responses that come to your mind first.
- Try to empathize with the situation in your responses while dealing with the ‘feeling of others’ and give response accordingly.
What should a candidate do to top the test?
- Candidates must work to improve their all round personalities. Once the personality has been improved the consistent quality of responses would also improve, thus enhancing the chances of selection.
- Candidates should work to improve their written English as it definitely impacts their selection.
- Some candidates are unnecessarily concerned about handwriting. It is no criterion for selection. This is not a primary school test!
Sample Solution for Situation Reaction Test in SSB
- You are playing in your friend’s house, when he gets stuck with a naked electric wire. You would – switch off the mains, take him to hospital.
- You are living in a college hostel. The dal served to you in the mess has a lot of stones. What would you do – complained to manager.
- In order to help poor he has keen desire. To have good collection of money, what he should do. – open NGO and conduct shows for charity.
- You are travelling by bus engine catches fire. You. – evacuated the bus and put off the fire.
- In order to produce better results in his organization what measures he should take. – Effective and stress free learning.
- He was going for the SSB and on the way he saw a person seriously injured and nobody was there to help him .He. – helped him, took to hospital, and informed in his home.
- He was playing out door and his brother got seriously injured and it started to rain heavily. He. – took him to hospital by car.
- You are serving fewer than two senior officers who always give conflicting orders. – brought it to notice of senior most officer.
- Your bathroom tap is leaking and is a constant source of irritating noise. You would – repair it on my own.
- You heard rumours that enemy is likely to attack the country. As a serving soldier what u do. – will be ready to neutralize the attack.